If you are Southern or perhaps just enjoy all things from the South, you probably know that Dr. Pepper soda is amazing. That cherry sweet taste that is not quite cherry coke is unbeatable. Turns out, you can add this yummy flavor to ice cream and enjoy the best of both Southern treats with this homemade Dr. Pepper ice cream recipe.
Learn how to make this special ice cream variation, which is actually pretty simple. You can use any type of ice cream maker if you follow the instructions, but this video shows you how to mix in the type with the frozen bowl attachment that goes on a mixer. The key is making a reduction from your Dr. Pepper soda, then adding it to the ice cream mix, finishing with some regular fizzy soda. Yum.
Try this one out at your next family barbecue or outdoor cookout. We tried it last weekend and it was such a hit I had to make a second batch. Those hungry folks would have eaten a third if I’d decided to make it.
Ingredients for Dr. Pepper Ice Cream
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Liter Dr. Pepper – boiled down to reduction
- 1 Cup Dr. Pepper
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Recipe and Directions for Making
- Freeze the inner container for your ice cream maker.
- Add a liter of Dr. Pepper soda to a saucepan and medium heat on high for 15-20 minutes until reduced to a syrup. You should have about 1/2 cup liquid left.
- In a mixing bowl, add Dr. Pepper syrup you just made plus cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the liquid into your ice cream maker.
- Mix for 10 minutes in ice cream maker, then add another cup of Dr. Pepper soda (not syrup) to this mixture.
- Mix in the ice cream maker for another 15 minutes.
- Place in freezer for at least 2 hours before serving